On 17/02/2021 11:50, gevisz wrote:
It is a good question. My motherboard is Gigabyte Ultra Durable GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
and I had problems with it from the very beginning in the sense that it is
quite often doesn't see my SATA disks on the first boot (though, on the second
reboot it usually finds them). It is also quite often that it stops booting
the legacy operating system and automatically reboots before showing
a login screen.

Sounds a bit like the mobo on my current main system - a GA-785GMT-UD2H. Not sure how old it is - it has an Athlon X-III and DDR3 ram, but it keeps on forgetting its settings at boot (resetting to default), and I gave up updating gentoo, because when I retired my Athlon Thunderbird system, I could no longer get the updates to run without crashing. It's crazy - I used to cross-compile on the Thunderbird, just to get it to build successfully!!!

I've now got a new system to replace it, but that's still a project...

Cheers,
Wol