I can't change the whole world just for one list.

No need to. Even in other mails, there's seldom a need
for HTML in mails.

I too am interested in useful contexts for html. I just can't think of any situation where I wouldn't use structured text markup in an email. Sure, I might *attach* an html document (or pdf or even, god forbid, an MSWord doc!) but that is different (even if it gets displayed just like a message would...). Maybe I have an old-fashioned view of email but I see more expressive means of communication better served with other technologies (IM, etc.)
Cheers
Antoine
ps. since stopping top-posting on lists I have since stopped top-posting *anywhere*. People who have a list of questions and answer them two posts up without any real reference to the questions are simply poor communicators... and that is certainly what I see a lot of.