Michael:
> On Mon, 2021-04-05 at 16:10 +0200, k...@aspodata.se wrote:
> > system call failed: Cannot allocate memory
> > Segmentation fault
>
> Is this a low-memory machine?

So, how much memory does R need to build ?
I have:

$ free
               total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:         6103628     1807560     2631444      146376     1664624     3107868
Swap:        8788924      670108     8118816

///

Somewhere in the log it says that something failed to get
a sigaltstack(). Did the R devs anticipate out of memory and sigseg and
tried to handle it ?

> If so, there's no much you can do here
> except set a lower number of jobs in MAKEOPTS for the dev-lang/R build:
>
>   https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/package.env

 I already have (in make.conf):
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--jobs 1 ..."

  This seems to solved the issue:
# cat /etc/portage/env/j1
MAKEOPTS=-j1
# cat /etc/portage/package.env/R
dev-lang/R j1

> But if you don't think you're running out of RAM, we can keep digging.
> For example you might have some memory limits set in /etc/limits that
> you're hitting.

I don't have an /etc/limits, and /etc/security/limits.conf is just
comments.

# prlimit -d -l -s
RESOURCE DESCRIPTION                             SOFT      HARD UNITS
DATA     max data size                      unlimited unlimited bytes
MEMLOCK  max locked-in-memory address space unlimited unlimited bytes
STACK    max stack size                       8388608 unlimited bytes

Regards,
/Karl Hammar