Hello, Neil.

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 00:09:12 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 20:53:11 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> > Help!  What am I supposed to do?  I've got 16 Gb RAM (I'm _not_ going to
> > use the word "only" here), and wondering just how big a chunk a ram disk
> > can take out of that before the machine siezes up altogether.  But if I
> > increase the ram disk to 15 Gb, even assuming it'd work, it's only going
> > to be a small number of releases before the clever people at rust
> > increase their bloat even more.

> Setting the RAM disk so high will mean you don't have enough memory for
> the compilation, which will start swapping and everything will grind to a
> near halt.

I think that was happening when I tried to use a 14 GB ram disk.

> > I know I could plump for the -bin package.  Maybe I should.  But before
> > I do that, is it possible to redirect this one ebuild away from
> > /var/tmp/portage (my ram disk) without disturbing the other builds?  If
> > so, how would I do this (or where should I look for documentation)?

> Lookup package.env on the wiki.

Many thanks for the tip.  I did this, and set up my PORTAGE_TMPDIR to
point into /home/portage.  Not the ideal place, but the only place with
enough room, without messing around with mdadm to create more.

> I use rust-bin now, so this isn't an issue for me, but my laptop has
> only 8GB and this is how I have it set for chromium:

> % cat /etc/portage/env/disk-tmpdir.conf
> PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/mnt/scratch"

> % cat /etc/portage/package.env/chromium
> www-client/chromium disk-tmpdir.conf

> I do similar for libreoffice and a couple of other heavyweights.

With a like setup, building rust took ~45 minutes.  This is about the
same as it took on the ram disk before giving up.  So, I'm not losing a
lot, if anything, by using /home/portage (On mirrored nvme SSDs).

> Another option, to be used instead of or as well as this would be distcc.
> Once again, you can use package.env to apply this to selected packages:

That's for building on a different (more powerful) machine, isn't it?  I
don't actually have a more powerful machine.  ;-)

> % cat /etc/portage/env/distcc.conf
> FEATURES="distcc buildpkg distlocks"
> MAKEOPTS="-j36 -l4"
> CFLAGS="-march=broadwell -O2 -pipe"
> CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

> --
> Neil Bothwick

> I'm firm. You're obstinate. He's a pigheaded fool.

At times, I'm all three!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).