On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 9:10 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I hate these init thingys and will admit I know little about the
> things.  I had a thought tho, could it be that the file system needed to
> read the init thingy isn't included somehow or in the kernel maybe?  If
> it is pointing to the right place, sounds like it is to me, then it has
> to be a read problem I'd think.

All the uefi stuff is on a fat filesystem.  I would think that something
that fundamental (and universally supported) is embedded in the bios.  The
grub bootloader itself is on that fat filesystem, and it must have loaded
or else I wouldn’t have access to the grub edit facility.  So I think I’m
ok on file system support.

> I haven't ever had to use the edit menu on grub2 that I remember.  It
> might be worth mentioning that it may have tab completion.  That would
> certainly remove a typo if it can complete the kernel or init thingys
> file name on its own.  Just a thought.

Grub documentation says it does have tab completion.  But the file names,
uuids, and other things prone to typos that I referenced are generated by
grub, so typos are unlikely to be an issue.  And I’ve checked them
meticulously.  They look ok.

> Going back under my desk now.

Maybe I’d be less frustrated by this new mobo if I did the same! ;)

John