On 6/7/21 10:10 AM, n952162 wrote:

I'm looking for a gentoo alternative and am surprised to see that
google chrome os is based on gentoo.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

Do they support multi-media and basic modern desktop capabilities?  I
see that there's some concentration on a special browser, but I'd be
running Firefox and FVWM anyway.

Do they use /portage/ and source packages?

Do they push down every single upstream modification, like gentoo
does, or maybe have a bit of hysteresis?

I updated on May first and built firefox 78.10.*0*.  2+ days of
building.  I updated on June first and built firefox 78.10.*1*. and
spent 2+ days building.  I updated today because of the same old slot
collision problems I've run into over a year

    dev-python/setuptools:0
    dev-python/setuptools_scm:0
    dev-python/toml:0
    dev-python/certifi:0
    dev-python/jinja:0
    dev-python/markupsafe:0

and now, on the 7th, I'm building firefox 78.11.   I just don't have
the time for this.  It impacts my machines too much.

Yes, I know, there are binary versions, but if I wanted to use binary,
I wouldn't use gentoo.  And anyway, there's always rust and gcc and ...

Okay, I guess I got it, at least for the worst offenders, firefox and
thunderbird: not have them in my world file and every quarter update
them manually.  Would that work?