On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 11:10:13 +0200, n952162 wrote:

> > Yes, I know, there are binary versions, but if I wanted to use binary,
> > I wouldn't use gentoo.  And anyway, there's always rust and gcc and
> >

> Okay, I guess I got it, at least for the worst offenders, firefox and
> thunderbird: not have them in my world file and every quarter update
> them manually.  Would that work?

Not really, because you wouldn't get security updates. Also, because they
aren't in your world set, depclean would try to remove them and their
dependencies.

A somewhat less clunky, but still far from perfect, option would be to
use package.mask to block updates beyond the current version.

Using stable rather than testing, I don't know which you are currently
using, would reduce the number of updates significantly. This laptop runs
testing, but I have Chromium set to use stable to avoid the situation of
a rebuild completing just in time to start the next one :(

You could also look at using distcc if you have more than one machine to
spread the load.

--
Neil Bothwick