On Friday, 11 June 2021 09:46:04 BST Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
> Thelma,
>
> On Thursday, 2021-06-10 15:42:10 -0600, you wrote:
> > In:   /usr/share/sddm/sddm.conf.d/00default.conf
> > I change to
> > Numlock=on
>
> No!  Directory "/usr/share/sddm/" contains the default configuration for
> "sddm" for reference only.   You should undo  this change.   As Dale has
> already mentioned, the real configuration file is "/etc/sddm.conf".
>
> Sincerely,
>   Rainer

As far as I know changing the default settings of an application in /usr/
share/<application>/ is respected, until the package is reinstalled and any
changes overwritten by the new version.  For changes in a configuration to
remain following an update, using a config file in /etc or depending on the
package in /home is recommended - but it depends on the specific package what
config files it sources.

Files with configuration examples for reference only, are stored in /usr/
share/doc/<application>/ and as Rainer noted changes here won't make a
difference in the application itself.