On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 06:46:15AM +0200, Hund wrote
> >Let me rephrase the question more generally... given a
> >kernel "/boot/vmlinuz-fubar" how and where do I specify it by name as
> >the default boot kernel?
>
> What about this?
>
> https://www.stephenrlang.com/2017/06/setting-default-kernel-in-grub2/

  Is /boot/grub/grub.cfg the file that actually controls bootup, and is
all 154 lines of verbosity really necessary?  For menu entries I see...

menuentry 'Gentoo GNU/Linux, with Linux production' --class blah blah
blah {
blah blah blah
set root='hd0,gpt1'
linux   /vmlinuz-production root=/dev/sda2 ro  noexec=on net.ifnames=0
intel_pstate=disable ipv6.disable=1
}
menuentry 'Gentoo GNU/Linux, with Linux production (recovery mode)'
--class blah blah blah {
blah blah blah
set root='hd0,gpt1'
linux   /vmlinuz-production root=/dev/sda2 ro single
}
menuentry 'Gentoo GNU/Linux, with Linux experimental' --class blah blah
blah {
blah blah blah
set root='hd0,gpt1'
linux   /vmlinuz-experimental root=/dev/sda2 ro  noexec=on net.ifnames=0
intel_pstate=disable ipv6.disable=1
}
menuentry 'Gentoo GNU/Linux, with Linux experimental (recovery mode)'
--class blah blah blah {
blah blah blah
set root='hd0,gpt1'
linux   /vmlinuz-experimental root=/dev/sda2 ro single
}

  I'd be tempted to do a manual gub.cfg if I had documentation.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>