On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 08:38:50AM -0000, Grant Edwards wrote

> Note that on this machine I just tell grub to search for the
> filesystem with the label "root" instead of specifying it manually --
> though it is still specified manually for the kernel argument. I don't
> remember why I did that...

  Because specifying it manually doesn't work... ask me how I found out.
Partial success... the following gives me a working text mode menu just
like the standard grub.cfg.

        set timeout=15
        insmod vga
        set gfxmode=640x480
        set gfxpayload=640x480
        insmod gfxterm
        terminal_output gfxterm
        search --set=root --label rootfs
menuentry 'Linux Experimental' {
        linux   /vmlinuz-experimental root=/dev/sda2 ro  noexec=on
net.ifnames=0 intel_pstate=disable ipv6.disable=1
}
menuentry 'Linux Experimental Recovery' {
        linux   /vmlinuz-experimental root=/dev/sda2 ro
}
menuentry 'Linux Production' {
        linux   /vmlinuz-production root=/dev/sda2 ro  noexec=on net.ifnames=0
intel_pstate=disable ipv6.disable=1
}
menuentry 'Linux Production Recovery' {
        linux   /vmlinuz-production root=/dev/sda2 ro
}

  Unfortunately, just like the standard grub.cfg, it's a tiny-looking
text font on my 1920x1080 monitor that I have to squint at.  Next
step...  what do I do to get a functioning GUI?

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>