Dale,

On Thursday, 2021-07-01 01:59:57 -0500, you wrote:

> The subject line pretty much describes this.  How does one manage the
> system.map file in /boot?  Is it needed?  Should it be updated with each
> kernel?  I tend to keep 2 to 3 kernels installed.

Same here.   And whenever  I configure  a new kernel  my kernel managing
script makes sure both,  the kernel I'm currenty running on  and the one
just configured are in "@world".  That way "emerge --depclean" will nev-
er remove a kernel package.

When I finally decide  to explicitly remove a kernel  my kernel managing
script will basically execute this before calling "grub-mkconfig":

   # Argument 1 must contain slot number of kernel to be removed.

   emerge --deselect --quiet sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:$1
   rm -fr /lib/modules/$1-gentoo /boot/*-$1-gentoo{,.old} \
          /usr/src/linux-$1-gentoo

This is stuff I somewhere picked up  from the Gentoo Handbook when I did
my first Gentoo install.

>                                              Should I version the
> system.map file the same as kernels?

Not sure about that.   Mine ARE versioned.   That's probably what "grub-
mkconfig" is doing by default.

Sincerely,
  Rainer