So I just noticed that when I run:

emerge @module-rebuild

after having installed a kernel update, the kernel modules of the previous kernel version are being deleted. I am sure this didn't use to be the case. I have two entries configured in grub:

  Gentoo
  Gentoo (previous kernel)

They load /boot/vmlinuz and /boot/vmlinuz.old respectively (these are created by "make install" of gentoo-sources.)

Right now, I have gentoo-sources-5.10.47 booted. Modules are in:

  /lib/modules/5.10.47-gentoo

I just built 5.10.48 and did the usual "make install" and "make modules_install". This updated the vmlinuz and vmlinuz.old symlinks in /boot (as well as the config[.old] and System.map[.old] symlinks) and installed its modules into:

  /lib/modules/5.10.48-gentoo

So far, so good. But when I ran "emerge @module-rebuild", which rebuilds these two packages:

  app-emulation/vmware-modules
  x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers

The vmwware and nvidia kernel modules got deleted from /lib/modules/5.10.47-gentoo.

This is bad. When did this change? How can I prevent this from happening?