On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 20:02:07 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> I know I'm repeating myself, but I don't think an OS should ever delete
> critical parts of itself unless explicitly requested by the user.
> Perhaps not even then, but I wouldn't go that far.  The fact that
> portage does this means IMHO that something has gone wrong.

Yes it has, but it is not portage. Portage is only doing what you have
told it, remove superfluous packages. By including daemontools in @world
you have told it, albeit unintentionally, that you want that init system,
making openrc superfluous.

What has gone wrong is that daemontools is considered an init system when
you have not installed it as such, so the issue is with either the
daemontools or the virtual.

Since you like quotes, here's another - "computers do what you tell them
to do, not what you ant them to do". This is a classic example of that,
portage is simply demonstrating the principle of GIGO.

Instead of continually beating on portage on this list, which will
achieve nothing more than a minor waste of electrons, you should be
focussing on getting the ebuilds fixed so that portage is no longer given
conflicting or incorrect information.

You shouldn't give computers conflicting instructions, looked what
happened when they did that with the HAL 9000 :-/

--
Neil Bothwick

"I heard Tasha Yar is the Enterprise's expert on Data entry."