Sorry, I have to bitch.

This kept me going for several additional gentoo hours:

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy
"dev-python/isodate[python_targets_python3_8(-)?,python_targets_python3_9(-)?]"
have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
request:
- dev-python/isodate-0.6.0-r2::gentoo (masked by: EAPI 8)

The current version of portage supports EAPI '7'. You must upgrade to a
newer version of portage before EAPI masked packages can be installed.
(dependency required by "dev-python/rdflib-5.0.0::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by
"media-libs/lv2-1.18.2::gentoo[python_single_target_python3_9]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "media-libs/sratom-0.6.8::gentoo" [installed])
(dependency required by "media-sound/audacity-2.4.2-r1::gentoo[lv2]"
[installed])
(dependency required by "@selected" [set])
(dependency required by "@world" [argument])
For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

After realizing that I didn't have the dependency tree to help me debug,
and finally realized I had to remove audacity, world started emerging
(it'll take a day or two to complete - it does every month).

dev-python/isodate?  Isodate???  How can that not be stable?

That was the only ebuild on my system with EAPI 8.

This isn't a distribution, it's a silly toy for some super-intelligent
people to play with, causing idiots like me hours and hours just trying
to maintain stability.