On 8/3/21 7:20 AM, n952162 wrote:
On 8/2/21 10:10 PM, David Haller wrote:
Hello,

On Mon, 02 Aug 2021, n952162 wrote:
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy
"dev-python/isodate[python_targets_python3_8(-)?,python_targets_python3_9(-)?]"
have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
request:
- dev-python/isodate-0.6.0-r2::gentoo (masked by: EAPI 8)

The current version of portage supports EAPI '7'. You must upgrade to a
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
newer version of portage before EAPI masked packages can be installed.
You should read a bit more carefully... It seems your sys-apps/portage
is a bit dated.

Upgrade sys-apps/portage first, then it should work.

HTH,
-dnh

I read that, but I last updated 2 months ago.  So, this update breaks
because portage was updated and new ebuilds using that are already
being pushed out?  Seems strict to me ... but /isodate/ being the only
one?  I still have a EAPI 4 on my system (1). Plenty of EAPI 5.  Was
there something in isodate that needed to be urgently updated -
utilizing the the cutting edge EAPI?

We just had to update portage not so long ago.  I admittedly presumed at
first that something else must be wrong, because it didn't occur to me
that portage would be so volatile.

Everything in gentoo is so nicely configurable, but I think another
dimension should be add: configurable volatility - i.e. a configurable
hysteresis for upstream updates.