Am Tue, Aug 03, 2021 at 07:10:03AM +0800 schrieb William Kenworthy:

> >> Keep in  mind that both repos have the same ID - you should also rsync
> >> the cache and security directories as well as they are now out of sync
> >> (hence the warning).
> > That thought crossed my mind recently but I was unsure how to store the
> > cache. But since the repo is a monolith, it should suffice to rsync
> > the whole cache directory to the backup drive (or do it as a tar).
> >
> > The only problem is the temporal sequence:
> > 1. Host A runs borg and gets a current cache.
> > 2. Host B runs borg on the same repo and gets a current cache.
> >   2a. Host A now has an outdated cache.
> >
> > Usually, Host B uses Host A via ssh as remote location of the repository.
> > So I could simply run a borg command on Host A to update the cache somehow.
> >
> >> Be very careful on how you do this - you are one step away from losing the
> >> while repo if the cache gets out of sync.  The docs warn against rsyncing
> >> two repos and then using them at the same time for a good reason.
> > I won’t use them at the same time. It will always be one direction:
> > Hosts --[borg]--> Main backup drive --[rsync]--> secondary backup drive
> >
> You could delete and rebuild the cache each time (or I think there is a
> way to do without it).

If the cache can be easily rebuilt, then there’d be no need to store it at
all. At least that’s what I hoped, but was shown otherwise; I deleted the
whole cache, wanting to clean it up from cruft, and then the next run took
hours due to complete re-hash.

> There are quite a few threads on the borg lists about this in the past
> (usually people trying to recover trashed repos)

I’ll give them a read in a quiet hour.

> - you might ask there if there is a way to deal with changing the ID now?

Why would I need to change the ID? As already explained, I will only ever
borg to the primary backup disk and mirror that to another disk with rsync.
And when the primary fails, I use the secondary as drop-in replacement.

--
Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

Sometimes the fingers are faster then grammar.