On Monday, 20 September 2021 14:56:46 BST Gerrit Kuehn wrote:

> Well, this was the suggested way to go, see
> https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2021-05-05-python3-9.html
>
> But also when trying "emerge -1vUD @world" (be it with or without the
> package.use settings), I get stuck in conflicts (mostly on perl and
> setuptools). perl issues would probably resolve once I have EAPI8
> support, i.e. get new portage.
>

> cu
>   Gerrit

With a year old system you should question if reinstalling your system after a
back up of configuration and data files would be a smarter approach.  If you
*must* upgrade your current installation for learning or as an experiment,
then this is something which has been done before.  You will need to walk
through all the major upgrades of the last year, by using git to gradually
catch up with the latest stable versions.  This means a lot of packages will
have to be updated a number of times.

Personally, I'd back up /home /etc and world file, plus any databases or
websites if stored under /var/, then untar the latest stage 3 tarball and
update @system and @world.  Overall it should be a *much* faster approach to
allow you to bring your installation up to date.