On Sunday, 26 September 2021 13:25:24 BST Ramon Fischer wrote:
> Addendum:
>
> To complete the list. Here the parallel implementation of "lzip":
>
>     "plzip": https://www.nongnu.org/lzip/plzip.html
>
> -Ramon
>
> On 26/09/2021 14:23, Ramon Fischer wrote:
> > In addition to this, you may want to use the parallel implementations
> > of "gzip", "xz", "bzip2" or the new "zstd" (zstandard), which are
> > "pigz"[1], "pixz"[2], "pbzip2"[3], or "zstmt" (within package
> > "app-arch/zstd")[4] in order to increase performance:
> >
> >    $ cd <path_to_mounted_backup_partition>
> >    $ for tar_archive in *.tar; do pixz "${tar_archive}"; done
> >
> > -Ramon
> >
> > [1]
> > * https://www.zlib.net/pigz/
> >
> > [2]
> > * https://github.com/vasi/pixz
> >
> > [3]
> > * https://launchpad.net/pbzip2
> > * http://compression.ca/pbzip2/
> >
> > [4]
> > * https://facebook.github.io/zstd/
> >
> > On 26/09/2021 13:36, Simon Thelen wrote:
> >> [2021-09-26 11:57] Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk>

> >> Hi,

> >> Pick your favorite of gzip, bzip2, xz or lzip (I recommend lzip) and
> >> then:
> >> mount USB-3 /mnt; cd /mnt; lzip *
> >>
> >> The archiver you chose will compress the file and add the appropriate
> >> extension all on its own and tar will use that (and the file magic) to
> >> find the appropriate decompresser when you want to extract files later
> >> (you can use `tar tf' to test if you want).

Thank you both. Now, as it's a single USB-3 drive, what advantage would a
parallel implementation confer? I assume I'd be better compressing from
external to SATA, then writing back, or is that wrong?

Or, I could connect a second USB-3 drive to a different interface, then read
from one and write to the other, with or without the SATA between.

--
Regards,
Peter.