On 26/09/2021 13:36, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
Sure enough, the patch was succesful. Unfortunately, I cannot test it,
because my computer is out of luck (big thunderstorm, crappy power
provider, not-so-smart owner).

I'm sorry to hear it.  I'm sure you've done it already, but get a decent
backup from that machine somehow while it is still even partly working.

Sounds like the drive is fine, but of course the question is "for how long? ..."

When you rebuild it, get a surge protector and then put a UPS behind that ... snag is that's all extra expense :-(

Cheers,
Wol