On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 6:24 PM antlists <antli...@youngman.org.uk> wrote:

Hello, Wol and Dale
> When you rebuild it, get a surge protector and then put a UPS behind
> that ... snag is that's all extra expense :-(

Surge protectors: I googled it and mostly got bad reviews. Do they
_really_work?  What would you recommend? It probably should be
something amazon-purchasable! Availability in my country is probably
limited (and overpriced to boot, I bet).

UPS: never gave it serious thought, I had the impression there was too
much unclear stuff: for example, is it noisy (does it need a fan)? If
(when) some component needs replacement will I know it before
disaster? And does the replacement require a "qualified technician"? (
Dale's description is not very reassuring!)

Note that my lightning problem happened at night with both computer
and monitor powered down (but still connected to a wall outlet through
an interrupted extension; hence the "not-so-smart" self-qualifying...)

Thanks for your suggestions

Jorge