On 10/3/21 8:30 PM, coa...@tuta.io wrote:
> Hi y'all new confused user regarding package management
>
> How do you guys manage and protect your packages?
> Do you just put everything on world and end up with a huge world file?
> Do you have basic system files on world and the rest you protect or omit?
> Do you create new(personalised) files depending on category and somehow link
> them in any of the above 3?
> It's just emerging everything you are not sure you will keep with -1 seems
> cumbersome to me especially if at some point I want to transfer to a new
> device and want to copy my settings over ,select what to keep and discard the
> rest,depcleaning with pretend all the time seems annoying on the long term as
> well so there should be lots of different solutions from different people(at
> least thats what I think)
>
> I just think this is one of the things its better I learn now rather than
> later and forum or wiki info is too "on-point" on a specific situation so I
> thought I'd ask the userbase

I rarely use -1; pretty much exclusively for the case where I just need
to run something once right now and will not need it again.  Otherwise,
I just install it normally, which will add it to my world file, and it
will be preserved during depcleans.  If I later decide I no longer need
this package, I can always remove it later.

My world file has 161 packages; I'm not sure what you consider "huge",
but glancing through the list I don't see a lot of bloat -- I know what
pretty much each of them does/provides to my system.

As far as "system" packages, I just rely on my profile's @system to keep
those.  Things in @world are applications/resources that I installed for
my particular usage.

I'm not sure from your question exactly why you're using -1 frequently
enough to find it cumbersome; if you clarified what you're doing it
might be easier to clarify whether that is "normal" usage or there is a
better way of doing things.

cal