Hi y'all new confused user regarding package management

How do you guys manage and protect your packages?
Do you just put everything on world and end up with a huge world file?
Do you have basic system files on world and the rest you protect or omit?
Do you create new(personalised) files depending on category and somehow link
them in any of the above 3?
It's just emerging everything you are not sure you will keep with -1 seems
cumbersome to me especially if at some point I want to transfer to a new device
and want to copy my settings over ,select what to keep and discard the
rest,depcleaning with pretend all the time seems annoying on the long term as
well so there should be lots of different solutions from different people(at
least thats what I think)

I just think this is one of the things its better I learn now rather than later
and forum or wiki info is too "on-point" on a specific situation so I thought
I'd ask the userbase