On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 at 09:10, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 06:31:53 +0200, Arve Barsnes wrote:
> > As for depclean, I have added an alias for depclean with --pretend
> > that I use after world updates. Unless you have installed something
> > with -1, most of the time that list is empty. And the output gives
> > nice clean lists of what packages it wants to remove, with exact
> > version strings and slots, so if I agree, I just do 'emerge -C <copied
> > list>' and I'm good to go.
>
> Why not use --ask instead of --pretend? Then you don't have to copy
> anything or re-run commands. "emerge -ca" is short enough to not need an
> alias.

Mostly because, while I am not a prolific installer of temporary
packages, I fairly often (compared to how often depclean wants to
remove anything at all) have one or two packages in the list that I
want to delay removing for a little while. Most common after a kernel
upgrade where I still have not gotten around to reboot and confirm
that the new version actually works. Copying the package list now and
then seems less of a hassle to me than having to say no to --ask most
of the time.

Regards,
Arve