On 2021-10-13, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 18:25:12 -0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> Yesterday I switched my gentoo repo from rsync to git, and the initial
>> --sync with an empty directory did a git clone successfully.
>>
>> Today, when I try to sync, it always fails:
>>
>>   $ sudo emerge --sync >>> Syncing repository 'gentoo' into
>> '/var/db/repos/gentoo'... /usr/bin/git fetch origin
>>   error: RPC failed; HTTP 504 curl 22 The requested URL returned error:
>> 504 fatal: the remote end hung up unexpectedly
[...]

>> After the initial sync which does a git clone, how do you do
>> subsequent sync operations?
>
> emerge --sync works here. What do you have in repos.conf?

I didn't have a sync-depth setting. Setting that to 1 fixed the
problem. It was apparently timing out because it takes too long for
the server to respond to a fetch with an unlimited depth.  Seems like
maybe it ought to default to 1? Is there some reason it should default
to doing unlimited depth fetch operations?

--
Grant