It seems that every time a new Python version is unmasks, it breaks
something on one or another of my machines.

This time it's a python-exec version conflict that prevents emerge
-u. FAICT, Python 3.10 requires python-exec 2.4.8, and some other
package requires 2.4.6.

I've fixed things temporarily with:

package.use:

   */* PYTHON_TARGETS: -python3_10
   */* PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET -python3_10

package.mask:

   >=dev-lang/python-3.10

Now, at least I can continue to update the machine.

When I get the spare time to try to get Python 3.10 working, what is
the easiest way to figure out which package is causing the problem by
requring the older version of python-exec?

I've tried adding a 't' to the emerge flags, but that doesn't seem to
show anything useful.

Is there any documentation on how to determine the cause of a package
version conflict?

Here's what emerge says:

  (dev-lang/python-exec-conf-2.4.6:2/2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
pulled in by
      dev-lang/python-exec-conf required by
(dev-lang/python-exec-2.4.8:2/2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
USE="(native-symlinks) -test" ABI_X86="(64)" PYTHON_TARGETS="(pypy3)
(python3_10) (python3_8) (python3_9)"

python-exec-2.4.8 requires python-exec-conf which requires python-exec 2.4.6?