On 2022-01-12, Jack <ostrof...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

>> python-exec-2.4.8 requires python-exec-conf which requires
>> python-exec 2.4.6?
>
> I was going to wonder if you are caught in the middle of an upgrade
> that's only partly reached the mirrors.  Given that (as I see it,
> having last done a sync a few hours ago) that there is ONLY one version
> each in the tree for python-exec-2.4.8 and python-exec-conf-2.4.6.

Yep, same here.

> However, looking at the ebuilds:
> python-exe requires python-exec-conf (no version specified)
> python-exec-conf-2.4.6 requires "!<dev-lang/python-exec-2.4.6-r4" which
> should allow 2.4.8.
>
> I have both python 3.9.9-r1 and 3.10.0_p1-r1 installed (plus
> 2.7.18_p13) so there doesn't seem to be any conflict there.  What does
> "equery d python-exec" tell you?

After poking around a bit, I realized that the only machine that was
having this problem was also the only one that had python2.7
installed. Python 2.7 was required by ipkg-utils (for which the ebuild
seems to have long since vanished). The only thing I ever use from
ipkg-utils is the ipkg-build bash script. I copied that script to
~/bin/ and unmerged ipkg-utils.

emerge --depclean then removed python2.7, and then emerge -auvND
happily upgraded python-exec to 2.4.8.

Still not sure what command one uses to determine what package is
preventing some other package from being upgraded...

--
Grant