The point is, something has changed in openrc, and I was hoping somebody
knew about it.

It used to be that you could restart the network with:

  rc-service net.enp1s0 restart

which would use the link in /etc/init.d.  But that link is now gone,
although the network works.  Something fundamental has changed, I think,
and I thought it would pop out here, but I guess I'm the only one still
using openrc.