On Thursday, 15 September 2022 09:57:44 BST I wrote:
> On Wednesday, 14 September 2022 23:09:59 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Sep 2022 16:50:45 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > > I'm thinking of separating /usr onto its own partition so that I can
> > > have it mounted read-only except while updating it. I'd prefer not to
> > > have to make an init thingy, not having needed one up to now. Besides,
> > > some machines have things like early-ucode or amd-uc.
> >
> > Most of this has already been answered, except for your final point. You
> > can load more than one initrd at boot, so you can still apply microcode
> > updates. For example, with systemd-boot
> >
> > title       Desktop
> > version     5.15.59-gentoo
> > linux       /vmlinuz-5.15.59-gentoo
> > options     root=LABEL=blah blah
> > initrd      /amd-uc.img
> > initrd      /initramfs-5.15.59-gentoo.img
> >
> > I use dracut to create the initrd, which is so straighforward even Dale
> > can't break it ;-)
> :
> :)
>
> That seems to be the way to go then - even dinosaurs die out in the end.
> Perhaps Dale will show us the command he referred to.

Well, it's taken a few hours, but I have it working. Just a few wrinkles to
clear up:

1.  dracut: 90crypt: Could not find any command of '/lib/systemd/systemd-
cryptsetup cryptsetup'!

...and similar for bluetooth.

What do I have to include in /etc/dracut.conf.d/mine.conf to silence these? I
already omit the relevant modules:

$ grep -e crypt -e blue /etc/dracut.conf.d/mine.conf
omit_dracutmodules+=" bluetoothd "
omit_dracutmodules+=" systemd-cryptsetup "
omit_dracutmodules+=" cryptsetup "

2.  dracut: No KEYMAP configured.

$ grep i18n /etc/dracut.conf.d/mine.conf
i18n_vars="/etc/conf.d/keymaps:KEYMAP /etc/conf.d/keymaps:WINDOWKEYS /
etc/conf.d/consolefont:FONT"

Notice that only KEYMAP is complained about. The FONT in consolefont points to
/usr as well as KEYMAP.

--
Regards,
Peter.