Dale wrote:
> Neil Bothwick wrote:
>> On Thu, 6 Oct 2022 10:10:52 +0200, Arve Barsnes wrote:
>>
>>> This is probably a case of Dolphin not being a good tool, unless it
>>> has a built-in command-line?
>>> $ mv newfile oldfile
>>> will overwrite the old file in place with the new file with the name
>>> of the old file.
>> And tab-completion makes this a lot quicker than renaming files in a file
>> manager.
>>
> This is a option I haven't thought of.  The mv command is a good
> thought.  Next time I have a lot of these to do, I'll try it.  It just
> may work.  Plus, tab completion would be a nice bonus.

I just got a couple dozen videos that I want to do what I described
with.  I used the -v option with mv plus double check in dolphin
afterwards and so far, it works nicely.  Tab completion makes it really
easy.  It's faster than all the properties window, copy, paste and all
that.  I might add, along with tab completion, I also use the highlight
and middle click on the mouse.  A faster way to copy and paste when
needed.  That's a nifty feature of Konsole.

>>> I know there are many file managers with a built-in terminal, so maybe
>>> others have similar possible solutions. I saw someone mention midnight
>>> commander which I believe is one.
>> Or you could use a drop-down terminal like Yakuake to give a terminal on
>> demand, whatever program you are using. Yakuake is for KDE, it wraps
>> Konsole, but there are GNOME-ish variants too, I wouldn't be without it.
>>

> I look into Yakuake.  I've never heard of it before.  It's emerging and
> I have to run to town to help a friend.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

I installed Yakuake and to me, it looks like Konsole but without the
menu part at the top.  Other than that, I don't see anything special.  I
kinda wish I had a terminal with dolphin or something.  I think there is
a way but right now, I'm getting the job done.  I'll look into that
later.  Pretty sure it is under the tool menu.

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)