Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 8, 2022 at 5:38 AM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com
> <mailto:rdalek1...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I've pretty much reached a limit on my backups.  I'm up to a 16TB hard
> > drive for one and even that won't last long.  Larger drives are much
> > more costly.  A must have NAS is quickly approaching.  I've been
> > searching around and find some things confusing.  I'm hoping someone can
> > clear up that confusion.  I'm also debating what path to travel down.
> > I'd also like to keep costs down as well.  That said, I don't mind
> > paying a little more for one that would offer a much better option.
> >
> > Path one, buy a NAS, possibly used, that has no drives.  If possible, I
> > may even replace the OS that comes on it or upgrade if I can.  I'm not
> > looking for fancy, or even RAID.  Just looking for a two bay NAS that
> > will work.  First, what is a DAS?  Is that totally different than a
> > NAS?  From what I've found, a DAS is not what I'm looking for since I
> > want a ethernet connection and the ability to control things over the
> > network.  It seems DAS lacks that feature but not real sure.  I'm not
> > sure I can upgrade the software/OS on a DAS either.
> >
> > Next thing.  Let's say a NAS comes with two 4TB drives for a total of
> > 8TB of capacity from the factory, using LVM or similar software I
> > assume.  Is that limited to that capacity or can I for example replace
> > one or both drives with for example 14TB drives for a total of 28TBs of
> > capacity?  If one does that, let's say it uses LVM, can I somehow move
> > data as well or is that beyond the abilities of a NAS?  Could it be done
> > inside my computer for example?  Does this vary by brand or even model?
> >
> > Path two, I've researched building a NAS using a Raspberry Pi 4 8GB as
> > another option.  They come as parts, cases too, but the newer and faster
> > models of Raspberry Pi 4 with more ram seem to work pretty well.  The
> > old slower models with small amounts of ram don't fair as well.  While I
> > want a descent speed, I'm not looking for or expecting it to be
> > blazingly fast.  I just wonder, if from a upgrade and expansion point of
> > view, if building a NAS would be better.  I've also noticed, it seems
> > all Raspberry things come with a display port.  That means I could hook
> > up a monitor and mouse/keyboard when needed.  That could be a bonus.
> > Heck, I may can even put some sort of Gentoo on that thing.  :-D
> >
> > One reason I'm wanting to go this route, I'm trying to keep it small and
> > able to fit inside my fire safe.  I plan to buy a media type safe that
> > is larger but right now, it needs to fit inside my current safe.  Most
> > of the 2 bay NAS or a Raspberry Pi based NAS are fairly small.  They not
> > much bigger than the three external hard drives and a couple bare drives
> > that currently occupy my safe.
> >
> > One thing I'd like to have no matter what path I go down, the ability to
> > encrypt the data.  My current backup drives are encrypted and I'd like
> [...]

I was thinking DAS was not a good option.  It seems like a feature
removed and cheaper version of NAS.

I think I've seen a couple Synology NAS boxes but I think even used they
were a bit pricey.  Still, used could make that a option.  Maybe.  It
could fall into the category of pay a little more for a much better
option, even if it is used.

I've considered using older systems I have for NAS but they are large.
Way to large.  It would require a lot of effort to shrink them down if
it is even possible.  A NAS is smaller and designed for what I need as
well.  This is what I found that goes with the Raspberry Pi.

https://shop.allnetchina.cn/collections/sata-hat/products/dual-sata-hat-open-frame-for-raspberry-pi-4

There is a two bay and a four bay version.  I think the case is the same
for both so I may go with four for future expansion.  Price isn't bad
for that part but as you say, Raspberry Pi board is a bit pricey.  Thing
is, given the amount of control I'd have over it, it could be a better
option long term.  I might add, I think this board is somewhat new.  I
meant to include a link to it but forget.  It could be that you are not
aware of that, or many other people either.  Also, I'd like to buy it
from a more local vendor.  I've bought things from China through Ebay
but it has a guarantee and refund option that is fairly good.  It's a
option I've had to exercise a time or two.

Part of me wants to buy a used but well featured NAS box.  Part of me
thinks a Raspberry would be better and have upgrade options in the
future as well.  I'm pretty sure I could have encryption on a Raspberry
NAS as well.  I'm not sure if a prebuilt NAS box has encryption or not.

Hope for some good ideas tho.  I'd like to avoid buying something that
won't come close to serving even current needs or just plain doesn't work.

Dale

:-)  :-)