Daniel Frey wrote:
> On 12/8/22 05:58, Dale wrote:
>>

>> I was thinking DAS was not a good option.  It seems like a feature
>> removed and cheaper version of NAS.
>>
>> I think I've seen a couple Synology NAS boxes but I think even used
>> they were a bit pricey.  Still, used could make that a option.
>> Maybe.  It could fall into the category of pay a little more for a
>> much better option, even if it is used.
>>
>> I've considered using older systems I have for NAS but they are
>> large.  Way to large.  It would require a lot of effort to shrink
>> them down if it is even possible.  A NAS is smaller and designed for
>> what I need as well.  This is what I found that goes with the
>> Raspberry Pi.
>>
>> https://shop.allnetchina.cn/collections/sata-hat/products/dual-sata-hat-open-frame-for-raspberry-pi-4
>>

>> There is a two bay and a four bay version.  I think the case is the
>> same for both so I may go with four for future expansion.  Price
>> isn't bad for that part but as you say, Raspberry Pi board is a bit
>> pricey.  Thing is, given the amount of control I'd have over it, it
>> could be a better option long term.  I might add, I think this board
>> is somewhat new.  I meant to include a link to it but forget.  It
>> could be that you are not aware of that, or many other people
>> either.  Also, I'd like to buy it from a more local vendor.  I've
>> bought things from China through Ebay but it has a guarantee and
>> refund option that is fairly good.  It's a option I've had to
>> exercise a time or two.
>>
>> Part of me wants to buy a used but well featured NAS box.  Part of me
>> thinks a Raspberry would be better and have upgrade options in the
>> future as well.  I'm pretty sure I could have encryption on a
>> Raspberry NAS as well.  I'm not sure if a prebuilt NAS box has
>> encryption or not.
>>
>> Hope for some good ideas tho.  I'd like to avoid buying something
>> that won't come close to serving even current needs or just plain
>> doesn't work.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
>
> Dale,
>
> DAS is direct attached storage. If your intention is to share the data
> with multiple devices for backup you will need to keep in mind that
> you will need a PC to share the data the DAS device is storing. In
> general, most DAS require some sort of HBA (some of these HBAs can be
> hundreds to thousands of dollars.) I've seen some eSata ones but they
> usually don't have stellar reviews. It's also getting harder to find
> eSata devices.
>
> In contrast NAS devices are designed to plug in to the network and be
> shared with multiple devices on the LAN right from the get-go.
>
> You are probably interested in a NAS, not a DAS.
>
> I have an aging ix4-300d NAS. The display has started crashing now but
> the device is still rock solid. However I'm in the same boat and have
> been researching options - I think for my case I will get a small cube
> [...]

I was thinking DAS wouldn't fit my needs.  Just wasn't real sure what
the difference was.  Someone always coming up with something that only
half works.  :/

Right now, I have a modem/router in one that the ISP provided.  I have a
separate router that I use since I can control access with it.  The ISP
modem/router can not be accessed by me.  Supposedly, it has some
protection but without access, who knows.  Either way, I'd connect a NAS
to my router that I control and if possible, forbid internet access.  If
possible, I may restrict it to ethernet access only, no wifi connection
either.  That should lock it down.  Also, I only update backups once a
week for maybe a hour or less.  The window for a hacker would be small
anyway.

I looked into buying/building a really small puter but with a lot of
drive bays.  Thing is, they have few SATA ports and not many ways to add
any plus they end up being to large.  I really don't like USB for my
data much.  I've had a lot of bad experiences with USB and hard drives.
Still, if this Raspberry thing uses it and others make it work fine, I'd
give it a shot.

Still reading posts and trying to sort things out.  Also, searching
around for NAS boxes just in case I run up on a steal of a deal.  :-D

Dale

:-)  :-)