Hello Alan,
On Saturday, 31 December 2022 14:08:43 GMT you wrote:

> What I'm thinking here is that you might be installing a font which is
> bigger than the 8x16 standard that you appear to be booting with.  To
> check this, would you please do:
>
>     # file /lib/rc/console/font
>
> , which should return a message like:
>
>     /lib/rc/console/font: Linux/i386 PC Screen Font v1 data, 256 characters,
> Unicode directory, 8x16
>
> What is the size of this font, here (where it says 8x16 for my font)?
> The reason I ask is, I've got a horrible suspicion that one of the C
> functions which copies screen data when the screen size is changed can
> only copy to a same sized or (possibly) _bigger_ screen (i.e. with a
> smaller font).  If this is indeed the case, it might explain why you're
> seeing a hang, here.

I think you've put your finger on it:

$ file /lib/rc/console/font
/lib/rc/console/font: Linux/i386 PC Screen Font v2 data, 256 characters,
Unicode directory, 22x11

I use consolefont="ter-122n" from the terminus-font package. It's a long time
since I was able to read a high-resolution screen in its native resolution.

Is there some way I can get the UEFI BIOS to boot with that font, or a larger
one? Or perhaps let the system boot without setting a font and then changing
it later?

Neither of those looks easy to do. I'd better have a good root through the
BIOS options to start with.

--
Regards,
Peter.