Hello again, Peter.

On Sat, Dec 31, 2022 at 15:47:01 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> Hello Alan,
> On Saturday, 31 December 2022 14:08:43 GMT you wrote:

> > What I'm thinking here is that you might be installing a font which is
> > bigger than the 8x16 standard that you appear to be booting with.  To
> > check this, would you please do:

> >     # file /lib/rc/console/font

> > , which should return a message like:

> >     /lib/rc/console/font: Linux/i386 PC Screen Font v1 data, 256 characters,
> > Unicode directory, 8x16

> > What is the size of this font, here (where it says 8x16 for my font)?
> > The reason I ask is, I've got a horrible suspicion that one of the C
> > functions which copies screen data when the screen size is changed can
> > only copy to a same sized or (possibly) _bigger_ screen (i.e. with a
> > smaller font).  If this is indeed the case, it might explain why you're
> > seeing a hang, here.

> I think you've put your finger on it:

> $ file /lib/rc/console/font
> /lib/rc/console/font: Linux/i386 PC Screen Font v2 data, 256 characters,
> Unicode directory, 22x11

> I use consolefont="ter-122n" from the terminus-font package. It's a long time
> since I was able to read a high-resolution screen in its native resolution.

> Is there some way I can get the UEFI BIOS to boot with that font, or a larger
> one? Or perhaps let the system boot without setting a font and then changing
> it later?

Probably, but it would be better if I just fixed the bug(s) in my changes to
the kernel.  Changing font size is something one should be able to do.

> Neither of those looks easy to do. I'd better have a good root through the
> BIOS options to start with.

A happy new year to you (and everybody else here), and give me somewhere
between a few hours and a few days, and this bug should get fixed.

Again, thanks for such effective testing!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).