On Saturday, 28 January 2023 08:05:47 GMT Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 00:20:03 -0600, Dale wrote:
> > Second, if no one takes it over, what could be used in its place?  I'll
> > be honest, I don't know of anything that could replace it but I've never
> > thought about looking either.  I'm looking into app-admin category but
> > don't see anything obvious to replace it.
>
> The only thing I've found that comes close is app-admin/conky - it's nice
> but a bit awkward to set up. The last time I troed it was a few years ago
> and there was the odd issue so I went back to GkrellM.

I haven't looked for a replacement of gkrellms for some years now.  At the
time I was trying out different desktops and gkrellms was having some problems
integrating with some of them.

I've tried conky and have seen/tried Desktop Info, wxWidgets, Übersicht and
even xrootwindow.  For my needs no other offering comes remotely close to the
gkrellms in terms of helping me with a single glance to spot issues with my
system.  It is akin to the clocks on a car dashboard.  Yes, I can drive
without them, but other than noise and vibration I'd have no other feedback
from the engine.  Whenever I'm on a desktop without gkrellms (e.g. MacOS), I
find myself instintively searching for it and even getting frustrated gkrellms
is not there.

Since my coding ability is even worse than Dale's I join him in kindly asking
for a maintainer/dev to take it on and keep it running.