On Saturday, 28 January 2023 11:12:26 GMT Dale wrote:
> Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > On Saturday, 28 January 2023 09:17:35 GMT Michael wrote:
> >> Since my coding ability is even worse than Dale's I join him in kindly
> >> asking for a maintainer/dev to take it on and keep it running.
> >
> > I too am finding it hard to imagine life without gkrellm. I think it needs
> > more than just a maintainer though - it needs a replacement for upstream
> > as well.
> I agree.  It needs someone to take care of it not only for Gentoo but
> for other distros as well.  It will be more than just keeping the ebuild
> up to date.  I'm hoping that someone somewhere will take it up.  I'd
> think it is used by a lot of people.  Surely someone can do coding
> updates as well.  Only needs one, maybe two, people.
>
> I found a video on conky.  Link below.  It's kinda scattered so I found
> myself skipping ahead.  There is a few times where it shows what it
> looks like.  Set up could be a nightmare for someone like me.  It sounds
> pretty complicated.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHtpLEoRKmg
>
> Home page has a couple screenshots too.
>
> https://github.com/brndnmtthws/conky#screenshots
>
> Conky may work but I don't see me liking it as much as I do gkrellm.
>
> I hope someone will take it over and keep gkrellm running.  Maybe then a
> dev can keep the ebuilds updated.  Given the original guy died, someone
> has to replace him for sure.
>
> Let's keep our fingers crossed.  ;-)
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

I haven't used conky for some years now, its development must have improved
since.  I recall some problem when setting it up as dockable.  It didn't play
nice with other windows - but that may had something to do with the window
manager I was using back then.  Anyway, even after spending time configuring
it to suit my requirements, I found gkrellms to be better in every respect.