Am Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 12:18:14AM +0200 schrieb Frank Steinmetzger:

> If you use ext4, run `dumpe2fs -h /dev/your-root-partition | grep Lifetime`
> to see how much data has been written to that partition since you formatted
> it. Just to get an idea of what you are looking at on your setup.

For comparison:

I’m writing from my Surface Go 1 right now. It’s running Arch linux with KDE
and I don’t use it very often (meaning, I don’t update it as often as my
main rig). But updates in Arch linux can be volume-intensive, especially
because there are frequent kernel updates (I’ve had over 50 since June 2020,
each accounting for over 300 MB of writes), and other updates of big
packages if a dependency like python changes. In Gentoo you do revdep-rebuild,
binary distros ship new versions of all affected packages, like libreoffice,
or Qt, or texlive.

Anyways, the root partition measures 22 G and has a lifetime write of 571 GB
in almost three years. The home partition (97 GB in size) is at 877 GB. That
seems actually a lot, because I don’t really do that much high-volume stuff
there. My media archive with all the photos and music and such sits on a
separate data partition, which is not synced to the Surface due to its small
SSD of only 128 GB.

--
Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

We shall be landing shortly.
Please return your stewardess to the upright position.