Am Tue, Apr 18, 2023 at 09:53:18PM +0100 schrieb Wol:

> On 18/04/2023 21:01, Dale wrote:
> > > I just use tmpfs for /var/tmp/portage (16GB, I'm on 32GB RAM.)

Same.

> /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs. And on every disk I allocate a swap partition
> equal to twice the mobo's max memory. Three drives times 64GB times two is a
> helluva lot of swap.

Uhm … why? The moniker of swap = 2×RAM comes from times when RAM was scarce.
What do you need so much swap for, especially with 32 GB RAM to begin with?
And if you really do have use cases which cause regular swapping, it’d be
less painful if you just added some more RAM.

I never used swap, even on my 3 GB laptop 15 years ago, except for extreme
circumstances for which I specifically activated it (though I never compiled
huge packages like Firefox or LO myself). These days I run a few zswap
devices, which act as swap, but technically are compressed RAM disks. So
when RAM gets full, I get a visible spike in the taskbar’s swap meter before
the system grinds to a halt.

--
Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

Night is so dark only so one can see it better.