On Friday, 12 May 2023 01:38:52 BST Jack wrote:

> Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but as I see it, there are two different
> --load-average settings to consider.  I'd have to go back to the
> beginning of the thread to confirm you are setting both of them.

I am also going to repeat myself.

> The --load-average to emerge itself just tells it not to start a new job
> if the load is above the setting.  If there are several large jobs, but
> all start with single  threaded configuration activity such as
> ./configure or cmake, multiple jobs can clearly get started before the
> load average starts climbing.

I have said several times that portage is ignoring that setting. I have it at
40, yet portage kicks off more packages at 72, and continues doing so for
extended periods - at least 15 minutes.

> The --load-average in MAKEOPTS gets passed to make, and controls how
> many processes make starts.  If that is set, and the load is still too
> high, the problem is in make not in emerge.  Also, that setting will
> have no effect if the package uses ninja or something else instead of
> make.  Ninja does have a -l setting for load average, but I don't know
> if emerge passes any MAKEOPTS to ninja. That might be an interesting
> enhancement request.

I didn't know about that setting, and I can't see it in the man pages, so you
can be sure it isn't set here. You don't mean --jobs, do you?

--
Regards,
Peter.