On Friday, 12 May 2023 14:37:13 BST Jack wrote:

> I still see two separate issues.  First, you are saying that emerge
> still launches new jobs when the load is over what is set with
> --load-average.  A possible way to test this directly is to run or
> create some job that pushed the load average to over some number, say
> 5.

I have tested it, directly, with emerge. I reported what happened at the start
of this thread. To recap:

I was running 'emerge -e @world'; no extras, no ifs, no buts. Make.conf had
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--jobs --load-average=40 ... ; MAKEOPTS was not
specified.

As the six-hour job proceeded and portage was working with larger packages in
the plasma group, the load average rose to "72 75 75", clearly much higher
than the 40 I'd specified and continuing over at least 15 minutes. Yet portage
was still starting more emerge jobs to keep the load that high.

--->8

> The second issues is whether MAKEOPTS --load-average is actually getting
> passed to each job and whether make is then observing that limit.
> Whether this is the case or not is independent of the first issue.  I
> suppose this could be tested without even involving emerge.  Given you
> observed an actual load of 72 (do I remember correctly?) with both
> --load-averages set significantly below this, you could test, as long as
> you have a single compile which is busy enough.

I had no MAKEOPTS, so I assume -j took the default value of num_cores=24. I
don't know what the -l default is.

Here's the rub, though: whatever values were taken by -j, -l or --jobs, the
value of --load-average should not have been exceeded so grossly and
persistently.

I'd like to thank everyone who's offered ideas and suggestions, but I'm just
going to have to wait for the outcome of the bug I reported.

--
Regards,
Peter.