For informational purposes, I once fat-fingered my cron job that takes hourly
snapshots of my workspace during work hours and was taking minutely snapshots
instead.

I didn't notice any adverse effects until I had well over 60,000 snapshots.

The main adverse effect at that point was that doing anything with snapshots
started to get...  sluggish.

The second adverse effect was that listing the content of the snapshots
directory took several minutes, and I had to write a script to delete them
because it was too big for my kernel's process command line length limit.  (I
also found out how to raise that limit if anyone wants to know, but decided it
wasn't worth the effort.)

It all cleaned up fine in a few hours though.

LMP