William Kenworthy wrote:

> On 22/10/23 11:23, Dale wrote:
>> Frank Steinmetzger wrote:

>>> This didn’t preserve timestamps. Hence there is one type of
>>> information lost
>>> from which rsync knows whether two files may be identical. So now your
>>> restore has more recent timestamps the the backup. If you use -u, Rsync
>>> should skip all files.
>>>
>>> My perfectionist self doesn’t like discarding timestamp information,
>>> because
>>> then my system can’t tell me how old some file is, and how old (or
>>> young) I
>>> was when I created it and so on. I once didn’t pay enough attention
>>> when
>>> restoring a backup back when I was still on Windows, which is why I
>>> don’t
>>> have many files left that are dated before April 2007, even though
>>> they are
>>> from 2000 ± x.
>>>
>>> BTW: -i and -v are redundant. -v will only print the file path,
>>> whereas -i
>>> does the same and adds the reasons colum at the beginning.

>>> -a and -r are also redundant, as -a includes -r.

>>> My muscle memory uses `rsync -ai` for almost everything. And when I
>>> do full
>>> root file systems or stuff where I know I will need them, I use -axAHX
>>> instead. Since this preserves all the usual data, I’ve never really had
>>> rsync wanting to do everything all over.
>>>
>> Well, I can't turn back the clocks so it is what it is now.  These files
>> tho, I really don't worry to much about the timestamps.  If I were
>> backing up my OS tho, that could become a problem.
>>
>> So my command should be more like:
>>
>> rsync -ai --progress --delete /path/to/source/ path/to/target
>>
>> If I want to preserve all the Linux file data, then I should use this:
>>
>> rsync -axAHX --progress --delete /path/to/source/ path/to/target
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
>>
>> P. S.  Working on new kernel for fireball.  Added some options for
>> encryption stuff.  I really need to update to a newer kernel.  I got a
>> newer one that boots but no GUI.  That's not very helpful.
>
>> Hi Dale, I might have missed it in the thread but are you aware that
>> rsync is focussed on remote filefile transfer and if its a local
>> transfer it does a full copy (no delta) of the file without
>> optimisations as its usually faster than all the extra operations a
>> local delta requires.
>
> You are using NFS mounts so rsync is looking at it as a local copy -
> it does not know it is a remote system.
>
> My recent use of moosefs (another network file system) had similar
> problems using rsync - it also turns out some of the data rsync uses
> for detecting changes may not be stable across a network mount -
> moosefs certainly has problems with this, NFS likely to have it too.
>
> The workaround is to check file-size, mtimes and ctimes to figure out
> which is able to be used.
>
> see:

> [...]

I've read about using rsync as a daemon.  It is supposed to be faster.
For some reason, I just never got around to trying it.  It would likely
be a good idea to work on that.  It would likely be really handy when
moving large amounts of data.  I may try to read a howto on the Gentoo
wiki or something.  See what all it involves.

Interesting link.  I find some good info on that site at times.

Dale

:-)  :-)