On Wed, Nov 8, 2023 at 4:10 PM Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> I have PORTAGE_TMPDIR on /tmp, which is a 24GB tmpfs. Last night, an
> update failed with an out of space error. df showed only 440MB free but
> du and ndcu both showed well under 1GB in use (including hidden files).
> this has happened on the odd occasion in the past and the only solution
> appears to be to reboot. Of course, that means I cannot provide any more
> information until it happens again.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this or, hopefully, resolved it without
> rebooting?
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick
>
> Your lack of organisation does not represent an
> emergency in my world.

Hey Neil,

Yeah had this a few times. Always turns out to be deleted files that
something still has a handle on

Run this:
# lsof /tmp | grep deleted
sddm-help 324615 root   13u   REG   0,32       96  184 /tmp/#184 (deleted)

So here I have one. To release the 1 file, kill the process holding it open

Alan

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com