On Mon, Nov 13, 2023 at 3:09 PM Mart Raudsepp <l...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2023-11-08 at 19:08 +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Wed, 8 Nov 2023 16:17:19 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > > Hey Neil,
> > >
> > > Yeah had this a few times. Always turns out to be deleted files
> > > that
> > > something still has a handle on
> >
> > Hah! I never thought of that one. I'll try that next time it happens.
>

> Another common case is that it runs out of inodes, not space,
> especially if df actually says there is free spaces. Check
> df -i /tmp
> instead then - it might tell IFree is 0 and IUsed and Inodes are the
> same non-0 value.

Interesting side note:

I used to worry about free inodes a lot, but stopped when I realised I had
only ever run into the problem once:

some damn fool had created an account on the company FTP server for CDRs to
be uploaded that goe crunched and sent somewhere in the bowels of the
billing dept.
The same damn fool neglected to write any kind of cleanup code, and when
the sender started having difficulties I had myself a look.
That upload/ dir had 1.5 million files in it and yet the server was working
fine, except if you tried to ls or do anything that needed to read the dir.
Deleting that lot took IIRC 6 or 8 hours!

I suppose this and things like it are why the big players are now making
XFS the default fs on install.
Even a mid-sized machine these days can max out ext4

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com