Michael responded to me off list, and wrote:

On Sun, Dec 17, 2023 at 10:08:49AM -0500, Michael wrote in <675d0538-292f-40de-95c0-446641611...@gmail.com>:
I assume you have a script in /etc/portage/env/sys-kernel to build the
kernel during normal emerge, this is getting stuck because genkernel is calling another emerge instance and the hook is holding a lock. genkernel needs to be called with --no-module-rebuild in that case, then you need to manually call emerge @module-rebuild

I tried "genkernel --no-module-rebuild
--kernel-config=/etc/kernels/kernel-config-6.1.19-gentoo-x86_64 all" and this
did result in a succesful compilation. Doing an emerge afterwards finished
emerging the last four remaining packages. Will see if this fixes it going
forward as well!

Thank you all for the suggestions!