On Thursday, 11 April 2024 10:48:15 BST J. Roeleveld wrote:
> On Thursday, 11 April 2024 11:35:10 CEST Michael wrote:
> > On Thursday, 11 April 2024 06:19:57 BST J. Roeleveld wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > For a while I've been seeing the following ERROR-messages when booting 1
> > > of
> > > my systems:
> > >
> > > * ERROR: cannot start multipathd as localmount would not start
> > >
> > >  * ERROR: cannot start zfs-import as localmount would not start
> > >
> > > This isn't a big concern as these services will start correctly later:
> > >
> > > INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
> > >
> > >  * Starting multipathd ...
> > >  [ ok ]
> > >  * Importing ZFS pool(s)  ...
> > >  [ ok ]
> > >
> > > But I am trying to find the cause of these errors as they are preventing
> > > parallel-start from actually working correctly.
> > >
> > > When I check with "rc-depend", I don't see an obious cause:
> > >
> > > # /lib/rc/bin/rc-depend multipathd
> > > sysfs devfs udev udev-trigger modules fsck root localmount multipathd
> > >
> > > # /lib/rc/bin/rc-depend localmount
> > > sysfs devfs udev udev-trigger modules fsck root localmount
> > >
> > > # /lib/rc/bin/rc-depend zfs-import
> > > multipath sysfs devfs udev udev-trigger modules fsck root localmount
> > > multipathd zfs-import
> > >
> > > # /lib/rc/bin/rc-depend multipath
> > > multipath
> > >
> > > From how I read these, it should be able to start "localmount" properly
> > > before even trying to start "multipathd" and "zfs-import"
> > > There is also no technical dependency for "localmount" (the root
> > > filesystem
> > > is not on ZFS on this system)
> > >
> > > Any help/suggestions on how to find the cause would be appreciated.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Joost
> >
> > Check if hwclock is in the boot runlevel:
> >
> > rc-update -s -v | grep hwclock
>
> What does "hwclock" got to do with this?
> It has no dependency with multipathd, zfs-import, localmount or anything
> else that is showing an error.
>
> --
> Joost

Our systems are certainly different, but I noticed this dependency on my
localmount which is missing on yours:

# /lib/rc/bin/rc-depend localmount
sysfs devfs udev udev-trigger hwclock modules fsck root dmcrypt localmount
                              ^^^^^^^
Have you compared your system services which has this problem, with other
systems of yours which can startup properly?