On Saturday, 13 April 2024 08:58:50 BST Dale wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> As most likely know, I have a older box I use for backups.  The hard
> drives are encrypted which likes the CPU to have AES support.  The
> Phenom CPUs don't seam to support AES from what I've seen.  The specs
> for the mobo says the mobo does support the FX-6300 CPU tho which has
> AES support.  Since the biggest thing I use that system for is my
> backups, would it be better to have the FX-6300 CPU which supports AES
> or the Phenom 1090T?  Mobo only shows it supports the FX-6300 and no
> other FX series CPU.  Could be that it doesn't support anything else,
> could be the list hasn't been updated.  I dunno.
>
> Given the FX-6300 has a higher clocks speed, 3.8GHz versus 3.2GHz for
> the Phenom, I'd think the FX would be a upgrade, quite a good one at
> that.  More L2 cache too.  Both are 6 cores according to what I found.
> Anyone know something I don't that would make switching to the FX-6300 a
> bad idea?
>
> https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-770T-USB3-rev-10/support#support->
> cpu
>
> You may have to click on CPU support to see it.  Sometimes it goes to it
> directly, sometimes not.  :/
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

I can't find where the link you provide mentions FX-6300, an AM3+ socket CPU,
being compatible with GA-770T-USB3-rev-10, an AM3 socket MoBo.  The FX-6300
would definitely be a noticeable upgrade (higher base and boost frequency,
plus AES crypto), assuming you can find a MoBo to fit it on.  You'll probably
find the cost of buying just the CPU of unknown provenance, which may well
have been cooked with overclocking, will more or less equal the cost of buying
a suitable MoBo + CPU + RAM already assembled.  Or even a whole PC ready to
run:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166707210724

You could get a better result if you start with a budget in mind and then fish
for the best performance combo you can bag with it.