Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Thu, May 9, 2024 at 5:12 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm looking at buying another drive.  I'm trying to avoid buying one
>> with the PWDIS pin.  I'm looking at the specs to see if it says anything
>> about the feature, there or not there.  I'm not seeing anything.  This
>> is what I'm looking at.
>>
>> https://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/datasheets/pdfs/exos-x16-DS2011-1-1904US-en_US.pdf
>>
>> Can someone tell me how to know when a drive has PWDIS and when it
>> doesn't?  Is there some term for it that shows in the specs and I'm
>> missing it?  Or is there no way to really know?
> I think it would be labeled as such.  That is for a genuine retail
> version of the drive with retail labeling.
>
> So if you get the drive and it has the pretty Exos logo and green
> colors and the model number that matches the datasheet and all that
> stuff, then it probably won't have issues.
>
> However, if you're buying something off ebay, and the drive just has a
> plain white label, and a model number that doesn't actually match the
> datasheet, but some random webpage or reddit post assures you that it
> is the same thing, well, it probably is the same thing, but it might
> very well have that power issue.
>
> Those shucked drives generally come from USB enclosures, and the drive
> on the inside might be a rebranded Exos with alternative firmware/etc,
> but the label isn't going to actually say that, and the package will
> say "EasyStore USB Drive" or whatever it is sold as.  If you use it
> the way it is sold, then you again won't have issues since its
> internal USB HBA will do the right thing.  It is just that when you
> rip open the box that all bets are off.
>
> The actual drives sold for enterprise use generally aren't sold in
> retail packaging as I understand it.  To get one of those officially
> you need to buy them through a server vendor or some other
> enterprise-oriented partner, who probably has a nice sales person who
> will treat you to a free lunch while you talk about the PWDIS
> requirements of the $10M pallet of drives you're about to buy.

I found this.

https://www.seagate.com/www-content/product-content/enterprise-hdd-fam/exos-x-16/en-us/docs/100845789j.pdf

If you scroll down to page 29, or search for Table 11, it says it has a
3.3V for pin 1 to pin 3.  Does that indicate it has the PWDIS feature?
I'm buying these from a company that has server in the name.  I buy
drives of this type because of the way I use it.  It runs 24/7.
Downtime is minimal here.  This is a link to the drives I'm looking at.
I'm not sure which is best to be honest.  Opinions??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124627725410

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304194684486

I'm interested in your thoughts on the PWDIS and if one of those drives
would be better for my use case.  Biggest thing, runs 24/7.

Oh, is there a adapter that I can buy that fixes this?  I did a ebay
search but didn't find anything.  Maybe I used the wrong terms.

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S.  I'm considering using SAS controllers again.  Do you have links
that explains how drives are connected and such?  I'll likely continue
to use SATA drives since I have so many but may start buying SAS
drives.  I think both can be used depending on the cable.  From what
I've read, there is more than one way for a SAS controller to work.
It's confusing at times.