Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Thu, May 9, 2024 at 4:31 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com
> <mailto:rdalek1...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Dale wrote:
> >
> > Mark Knecht wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, May 9, 2024 at 2:12 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com
> <mailto:rdalek1...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> > <SNIP>
> > > Can someone tell me how to know when a drive has PWDIS and when it
> > > doesn't?  Is there some term for it that shows in the specs and I'm
> > > missing it?  Or is there no way to really know?
> >
> > I believe PWDIS is part of the SATA 3.3 spec so first filter would be
> > don't buy a SATA 3.3 drive for an old PC.
> >
> > I have done NO online research to take this with less than a
> > grain of salt.
> >
> > Mark
> >

> > Your reply gave me a clue.  I did a search for sata in the docs and
> found this for both drives I linked to in other post.
> >

> > Exos X18 SATA drives incorporate connectors which enable users to
> hot plug these drives in accordance with the
> > Serial ATA Revision 3.3 specification.
> >

> > I suspect that means it has the PWDIS pin.  You agree?  If you open
> the links to pdf docs in other reply, search for "Hot-Plug
> compatibility" and see what it says.  It was the second hit for me.
> >
> > Why can't they label those drives with something that makes it
> clear.  Print 'SATA V3.3', 'hardware reset enabled' or something that
> makes it easy instead of sticking it in a 50 something page document.
> At least we have the "find" feature on most pdf viewers.  Another
> option, throw a adapter in the box for those who can't have that feature.
> >
> > Looks like both drives I'm looking at might not work for me.  My
> goal in this thread, figure out what to look for so that I avoid
> buying a drive that don't work.  I got the difference in the power
> cable at least.  Now to figure it out without being able to see the drive.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > Dale
> >
> > :-)  :-)
> >

> > I thought of something else.  I looked at drives I bought in the
> past.  I have a model ST16000NM000J and it works but it says it is
> SATA v3.3.  So, saying it is SATA v3.3 doesn't distinguish between
> having or not having the PWDIS feature.  It just means it is possible.
> >
> > Crap.  I thought I was onto something.  :(
> >
> > Dale
> >
> > :-)  :-)
> >
> > P. S.  Since I have one of those already, I'll buy that one again.
> ROFL
>
> Dale,
>    You have raised a number of issues. I will speak as a retired Silicon
> Valley engineer who worked on IEEE and PCI-related specifications.
> (PCI-X, 1394b and a few things that never made it to market)
>
> 1) Probably most important, the disk drive manufacturers are not
> focused on those of us who fiddle with old hardware. They are
> designing and developing products for the mass market which
> basically means new machines. These drives do into data farms
> [...]

This is very true.  If they were going to change the SATA power
connector pin assignment, they should have made it backward compatible.
It would be easy enough.  Pin high, as it is when hooked to a old cable,
enables the drive.  Pin low disables or resets the drive.  That way no
matter what you connect it to, it works.  Why they didn't think of that,
I'd think it is about making money.  Just a thought.

> 2) The next issue is whether a new SATA-3.3 drive is even intended
> to work in a machine running old SATA spec. In the case of these
> SATA-3.3 drives there is a kluge connector/adapter cable that hooks
> to your existing SATA controller but has a PC power supply dongle
> so that the SATA-3.3 drive's PWDIS pin is 'hopefully' driven
> correctly. Whether that works does depend on the timing of your
> motherboard and the power supply, but it 'hopefully' works.
>
>    I don't know if this information is going to be helpful to your
> immediate situation but possibly it will help you going forward
> when you are considering upgrading an old machine vs what
> I have done a couple of times is to purchase a new or used
> low-end motherboard so that my peripheral choices were
> easier. (Such as now all of my DNS and Pi-Hole stuff running
> on an RP-5 vs an old x86-64 machine.)
>
> Best wishes and good luck,
> Mark

I've looked for a adapter.  I couldn't find one.  That's why I connected
to a old rig that had a set of molex cables I could use.  Luckily I had
a molex to sata adapter.  Do you know what they are called so I know
what to search for?  I'd buy a dozen or so just to have extras laying
around.  I just can't find them.  I suspect I'm using the wrong search
terms.

Do new motherboards support that PWDIS feature?  I'm looking at the ASUS
Prime X670-P mobo and I can't find anything that says what version of
SATA it has or about the PWDIS option.  I assume it doesn't have it but
assuming means you can be wrong.  I haven't looked at the new power
supply cables yet.  I've bought ATX style ones recently tho.  Look the
same as old ones to me.

Dale

:-)  :-)