> You could be right.  I did find one interesting post in my google search,
one person updated their BIOS and fixed the issue.  Pretty sure mine is up
to date.  Given the age of the mobo, I doubt they even think of releasing a
new BIOS for that old thing.

> Anyway, I found a card with a Marvel chip instead of ASMedia.  It also
says in the description that it is PCIe v2.0.  I'm hoping it will work.

> I need to read up more on lspci.  I mostly use the -k option to show
kernel drivers in use for each chip thing.  I've never used the -t option.
Gonna go play with that a bit.

-k is good. -n, -t, -v come in handy. You can also dump
the PCI config space to look at address mapping if that
comes up. (And might be useful if it turns out the SATA
card and network controller are both identifiable but
somehow overlapping each other, which would be VERY
bad if it happened)

Anyway, if you dig in and provide data someone here
can help where your background isn't deep enough
or it gets confusing.