grub-update found boot partition in /dev/sda3.  The problem I now have is
I cannot boot into gentoo.
The efibootmgr program on original system shows no available gentoo boot
drive and has lots of hex output so I can't locate /dev/sda3 in efibootmgr
and all gentoo partitions I created have been changed to conform to the
discoverable standard mentioned in the handbook.

--
 Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com>
 soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.